If I had a status update category: currently eating, this would be it.
Side note: Have you ever noticed that yesterday's blt has so much more fat on it today? That the bacon on the half you ate yesterday was just as fatty and YOU DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE? Gross.
Currently watching: Once Upon a Time, and this TED talk on the criminal justice system/race. Interesting.
You know the feeling of being ashamed to talk about things because you never do anything about the things you talk about? I've heard that's a common INFP dilemma. I feel comfortable talking about tv shows because they require very little of anyone, and seem to have a lot to give. TED talks give more, and so, of course, require more.
Books do the same. Some are fun and entertaining and promise escape (where you engage an interior world). Others engage you in the interior world, and then demand something of you. They don't leave you alone. They keep pursuing you. Through friends, concerned people, nagging thoughts that wake you up at 4am and don't let you fall back asleep for an hour. If sleep were an ultimate thing, nothing would be worth this. Least of all babies.
What won't leave me alone these days?
Spiritual formation and direction.
Some concept of justice and compassion.
Children's books.
What do they have in common? Is there a pattern here?
Um, they are all profoundly related. If you haven't read any good children's books lately, try something by Kate DiCamillo: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Tiger Rising, The Tale of Desperaux. For more obvious connections, there's always George MacDonald's fairy tales. The Princess and Curdie, especially. Oh, and the Secret Garden, duh. I could add gardening to my list of pursuits (not things I consciously pursue, but ideas and experiences that keep pursuing me).
So, my feeling of connection with these themes might mean that I talk about them together. It might explain why I have always loved and been attracted to those themes. It might inform my direction in life, the how and the why. No wonder the where and the when aren't as obviously accessible.
Dear God! Do your gardening worst! Or, more humbly and expectantly, will you do your gardening worst... to me?
No comments:
Post a Comment