Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Last night.

Last night, I listened to Freya share the gospel with our bartender.  After probably three hours of talking, just the two of us, about life and faith and art and music and church and where we're at and where we came from, he started talking to us.  We spoke with him from 11-midnight, I think.    I haven't seen someone with Freya's ability to connect with people or graciously enter into their space for a long time, if ever.  She connected with him over being in food/beverage service.  They started talking about living simply and not buying into media and sports and materialism.  He talked about his version of activism, which was bullhorning black friday shoppers and telling them they were zombies.  She talked about how they don't have a tv.  Eventually he started mentioning how he felt connected to the universe, and would live in harmony with it by doing good things.  She said, "What you would call the universe, I would call God."  He's a self-taught learner, and very curious and analytical.  He was hoping that his goodness could get him in to whatever there was in the afterlife.  She explained the concept of sin and grace to him, and talked about the central importance of Jesus.  She encouraged him to read the Gospels and learn about Jesus as a human (and tried to explain the trinity).  He asked "woman at the well" type questions about what he knows about biblical stuff.  Then it snowballed into Freya explaining to him how he was learning and practicing the same principles she was, but I challenged him to understand that he was missing the relational nature of God.  He was missing out on knowing the God who put the universe in place, and who made us, and who loved us and died for us and our sin.  God has a human face, and it's Jesus.  He said, "You're right; I'm missing out on that.  I don't pray or meditate or anything."  She told him, "I think you are very close, and that if you keep looking, you will find him.  God is good, and God loves you.  He speaks to everyone in their language, in a way they can understand."  He said, "I'll remember you, and I'll remember this conversation.  You should come back here again." 

It's true.  It's true, it's true, it's true.

Afterwards,  we walked outside and Freya looked at me and asked, "What was that?"  We were both practically speechless and in awe.  She said, "We have to hang out together again!"

Yes, please. 

No comments: